A fraudulent website mirroring Iowa Workforce Development’s claims portal is attempting to collect personal information from Iowans, IWD announced this week. Iowans applying for unemployment insurance benefits should only file an application through the official IWD website: www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov. IWD has not experienced any data breaches, but claimants should be vigilant in protecting their identity, IWD said in a statement. Indicators of fraudulent activity include:
- A text message or mailing from IWD notifying individuals of a claim in their name when they have not filed an unemployment insurance claim.
- Any notification that appears to be from IWD asking individuals to log in or visit a website other than the official IWD website.
- A 1099-G from IWD stating individuals have income from unemployment insurance when they have not filed or received unemployment during the last calendar year.
- A fact-finding call or notice from IWD when the individual has not filed a claim.
- An individual’s employer notifying them that an unemployment claim was filed.
Those who suspect fraudulent activity can contact IWD by email, UIfraud@iwd.iowa.gov, by phone at 866-239-0843, or through a web form available on the IWD website.